An era is coming to an end for one of Canada’s most iconic aerial teams and the impact could be felt here in Northeast B.C.
The federal government has confirmed this will be the final season for the Snowbirds’ CT-114 Tutor jets, with the fleet expected to be retired as early as next year.
The move raises questions about future airshows in communities like Fort St. John, where the Snowbirds have been a major draw.
The decision comes as officials point to ongoing engineering challenges with the aging aircraft. Concerns about the fleet have also been highlighted locally.
In 2023, a Snowbirds jet was damaged during an emergency landing shortly after takeoff at the Fort St. John airshow. No one was hurt, but the incident underscored the risks tied to the decades-old planes.
For many across the Peace Region, the Snowbirds have been a summer highlight for decades, with their signature nine-plane formation drawing large crowds and serving as a symbol of national pride.
Defence Minister David McGuinty officially made the announcement Tuesday at Canadian Forces Base Moose Jaw that Canada will retire and replace the Snowbirds’ long-serving CT-114 Tutor jets, marking a turning point for one of the country’s most recognizable symbols.
In a statement, the Department of National Defence (DND) says it plans to replace the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) fleet with a new aircraft, the CT-157 Siskin II, under a modernization effort not expected to be complete until the early 2030s.
“This will ensure that Canada continues its strong tradition of air demonstration capability with a modern fleet that will ultimately rebuild to the team’s distinctive nine-plane formation,” the statement reads.
As CTV News first reported in early May, the 2026 airshow season will be the last for the Tutors after more than 60 years in service.
Speaking to reporters in Moose Jaw, Sask. on Tuesday, McGuinty would not commit to a specific date for when the Snowbirds will return to the skies.
“We’re moving as quickly as we can. That’s our plan,” McGuinty said, adding that “negotiations are underway with the manufacturer.”
McGuinty also said there will be more details to come on how many new CT-157 Siskin II planes will be purchased for the Snowbirds.
Earlier this month, while speaking in the House of Commons, McGuinty suggested safety concerns are driving the planned changes.
Asked directly if safety is the reason behind the procurement decision, McGuinty would not say but said it came “on the recommendation of the Air Force.” He also said the current fleet “is well positioned to serve for another season.”
Add comment
Comments